Victoria Community Kitchens Network (VCKN)
Wednesday, January 26, 2011; 10 AM – 12 PM
James Bay Community Project, 547 Michigan Street, Victoria
- Personal Check-in, Updates & Networking
- Lexi Ratz – Programmer at Women In Need (WIN). Will host first community kitchen at the Fairfield-Gonzales Community Center on Friday, Jan 28th. They are hoping for 5 women. WIN has been very supportive of the program,
- Additions to the agenda?
- Information Sharing
- Health Canada has released two reports:
- Improving Cooking and Food Preparation Skills: A Synthesis of the Evidence to Inform Program and Policy Development
- Improving Cooking and Food Preparation Skills: A Profile of Promising Practices in Canada and Abroad.
- These reports synthesize the current state of evidence related to cooking and food preparation skills and the implications of the transition of skills on nutritional health. It serves as a guide for individuals and organizations for developing cooking and food skills programs in their own communities. Please feel free to disseminate these reports broadly. They can be found online at: http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/nutrition/child-enfant/index-eng.php
- CR-FAIR Food Access & Recovery Working Group & Advisory currently developing a tool to increase communication amongst the 39 community agencies in Greater Victoria that distribute, transport and store emergency food. There will be a way for various groups, such as community kitchens to benefit from this online tool. See: http://www.sharedharvest.ca/Victoria/
- Soup Sisters (www.soupsisters.org)- Group discussed how this fundraiser could potentially raise funds for the VCKN to run more Food Skills for Families programs in the region. (ACTION: Tracy to f/u with Diane re: Soup Sisters)
- Food Skills for Families – VCKN to write a letter of support to Canadian Diabetes in support of the program? (ACTION: Tracy to draft letter for review at next meeting)
- Fresh Choice Kitchens – Community Kitchen Leadership Program (ACTION: Tracy to follow-up with Diane Collis, ED of Fresh Choice Kitchens)
- May 17,18,19, 2011 Canning Workshop with Bernardin and Leadership Training
- Brainstorm topics for Training (i.e. facilitation, fundraising, etc.)
- Mapping all of the kitchen spaces in Greater Victoria, so that we can refer groups & individuals who are interested in cooking (ACTION: Tracy to follow-up with this)
- Community Kitchen Funding Opportunities
- “Cooking out of the Box” – Group continues to look for an organization/grant to fund this program
- Sponsorships/ “Adopt a Community Kitchen” Program – Update & Other Ideas?
- Discussion with Brent Palmer at the Mustard Seed re: funding opportunities as well as “Community Kitchen Hamper” (ACTION: Set meeting for next week)
- Good Food Box Society will host a Soup fundraiser with chefs @ Root Cellar (Feb 2011)
- Community Kitchen Promotion/ Outreach
- a. Maintain & Update VCKN Facebook site – Group talked about putting meeting minutes on Facebook, as well as linking with the Fresh Choice Kitchens facebook site. (ACTION: Tracy to follow-up)
- b. 3-fold display (ACTION: Tracy to ask volunteer to update based on recommendations)
- c. Other Ideas/ Opportunities? How can we work together to fundraise for Community Kitchens in our region?
- d. March 2011 National Nutrition Month theme is “Cooking together is the recipe for fun!” For more information see www.nutrition2011.ca Ideas around capitalizing on this?
- a. Letterhead (ACTION: Tracy to put the VIHA contact info on the bottom of the letterhead and “finalize”)
- b. Cowichan Community Kitchens Budgeting session – Brought forward to September 2010 meeting. Jennifer also mentioned that she would be able to lead a “mock” budgeting session with us so that we could get a feel for how the CCK folks operate their kitchens. (ACTION: Tracy to follow-up with Jennifer re: offering a mock session.)
- Next Meeting – March 2011 ?